OS1 and OS2
Bi-Directional, only one line (Ader?) needed.
OM1 / OM2 / OM3 / OM4 / OM5
Simplex vs Duplex fiber
- Simplex cable are consisiting of a single cable strand.
- Duplex cable are consisiting of two cable strands (“glued” together).
Singlemode vs Multimode
- Singlemode only allows one light mode to pass through at a time.
- Much further distances (e.g., OS2 up to 10 kilometers for 10G).
- Good for WAN network “applications”.
- Higher cost (depending on where you buy, up to 6-times more expensive).
- Multimode have shorter reach though are because of their price better suited, for, e.g., in datacenter usage.
- Lower cost (in comparison with Singlemode).
- Compatible with many different data protocols, e.g., ethernet.
- Nowhere near the distance of Singlemode (e.g., OM4 10G distance is “only” up to 550 meters).